Season 1 of A Discovery of Witches premiered in the UK on Sky One on September 14, 2018, and consisted of eight episodes. In the United States, it aired across a multitude of networks such as AMC, BBC America, etc., starting on April 7, 2019 and ending on May 26, 2019. In November 2018, Sky One renewed the series for a second and third season respectively. The second series premiered on January 8, 2021 in the UK. In the Unites states, streaming networks Sundance Now and Shudder began airing season 2 January 9, 2021.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Adapted from Deborah Harkness' best selling novel A Discovery of Witches is a contemporary love story set in our world, but one which humans share with the declining species of witches, vampires and daemons – creatures existing and working amongst us, but hiding, unknown to most humans, in plain sight. Teresa Palmer plays brilliant academic and historian Diana Bishop, a reluctant witch denying her heritage. The discovery of a manuscript in Oxford's Bodleian Library throws her into the heart of a dangerous mystery and into the path of enigmatic geneticist Matthew Clairmont played by Matthew Goode, an ancient vampire hiding dark family secrets. As Diana and Matthew embark on a journey to understand the significance of the mysterious manuscript and as their relationship develops and their heritage comes in to play, events threaten to unravel the fragile peace that has long existed between humans, witches, vampires and daemons.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Starring[edit | edit source]
- Teresa Palmer as Diana Bishop
- Matthew Goode as Matthew Clairmont
- Edward Bluemel as Marcus Whitmore
- Louise Brealey as Gillian Chamberlain
- Malin Buska as Satu
- Aiysha Hart as Miriam Shephard
- Owen Teale as Peter Knox
- Alex Kingston as Sarah Bishop
- Valarie Pettiford as Emily Mather
- Trevor Eve as Gerbert D'Aurillac
- Lindsay Duncan as Ysabeau de Clermont
Guest Stars[edit | edit source]
- Tanya Moodie as Agatha Wilson
- Daniel Ezra as Nathaniel Wilson
- Greg McHugh as Hamish Osborne
- Aisling Loftus as Sophie Wilson
- Elarica Johnson as Juliette Durand
- Gregg Chillin as Domenico
- Trystan Gravelle as Baldwin
- Tomiwa Edun as Sean
- Sophia Myles as Rebecca Bishop
- David Newman as Stephen Proctor
- Sorcha Cusack as Marthe
- Chloe Dumas as Meridiana
Episodes[edit | edit source]
|#||Episode||Summary||UK Airdate||USA Airdate||Written By||Directed By|
|1X01||Episode 1 (Season 1)||In Oxford's Bodleian library, brilliant American historian and reluctant witch Diana Bishop unwittingly calls up an ancient magical manuscript, Ashmole 782, which has been missing for centuries and finds herself confronted by acclaimed geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont, who is determined to get his hands on the book.||September 14, 2018||April 7, 2019||Kate Brooke||Juan Carlos Medina|
|1X02||Episode 2 (Season 1)||Blind to the interest she has stirred amongst creatures, Diana fights an increasing pull towards the magical and turns her back on her witch heritage, but matters take an unexpectedly dark turn when Satu is sent by Peter Knox to intimidate her.||September 21, 2018||April 14, 2019||Kate Brooke||Juan Carlos Medina|
|1X03||Episode 3 (Season 1)||Domenico takes information he's extracted from Satu to menacing vampire Gerbert, who gains the advantage he has been waiting for. After sending Juliette into the world to do his bidding, Gerbert consults with Meridiana, the witch whom he keeps in thrall, but what does the prophecy she delivers mean?||September 28, 2018||April 21, 2019||Kate Brooke||Alice Troughton|
|1X04||Episode 4 (Season 1)||Matthew's hope of keeping Diana safe at Sept-Tours appears short-lived as Ysabeau refuses to welcome the warmblood under her roof.||October 5, 2018||April 28, 2019||Kate Brooke & Tom Farrelly||Alice Troughton|
|1X05||'Episode 5 (Season 1)||Gillian pays a heavy price for her disloyalty to Diana, but not before news that vampires are studying witch DNA reaches Knox. The fall-out threatens the fragile equilibrium between creatures and the focus is on ending Matthew and Diana's relationship whatever the cost.||October 12, 2018||May 5, 2019||Charlene James||Alice Troughton|
|1X06||Episode 6 (Season 1)||Satu brutally tortures Diana in Gerbert's isolated castle ruins. Matthew, now sworn to hunt down and kill anyone who tries to harm Diana, attempts a daring airborne rescue mission with Baldwin in tow, but they are too late to prevent Satu invoking dark magic in a bid to open up Diana and see the magic inside her.||October 19, 2018||May 12, 2019||Charlene James||Sarah Walker|
|1X07||Episode 7 (Season 1)||After confronting her aunts, Diana learns the tragic circumstances surrounding why she was spellbound as a child.||October 26, 2018||May 19, 2019||Sarah Dollard||Sarah Walker|
|1X08||Episode 8 (Season 1)||Matthew's attempt to rescue Diana from Juliette goes horribly wrong and Diana finally discovers just how lethal her magical powers can be. As Matthew lies dying, Diana must strike a dreadful bargain with the goddess and make the ultimate sacrificial pact with enduring consequences.||November 2, 2018||May 26, 2019||Kate Brooke||Sarah Walker|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On April 10, 2019, as part of a Q & A, Gareth Skelding, the Senior Location Manager for the series was asked how exactly does it work if and when Gareth needs to find (search for) a location outside the UK? For example the location for Sept Tours in season 1. To which he answered that so much can vary on: budget and filming schedules. Skelding went onto say that with the help of CGI they can achieve many different looks without leaving the UK these days. But admitted that sometimes, there's no substitute for the real thing like the scenes they shot in Venice.
- In another question, Skelding was asked how long did it take to build the Bishop house and they did all the interior set design. He answered by saying that the exterior was built in a period of roughly 4 weeks. But that credit for he interior set design was slightly more involved and James North should be asked about that.
- In regards to Sept-Tours, Gareth Skelding revealed that Sept Tours became a real mix of locations. Some of the exteriors were filmed in Monselice, Italy, and some some at Aberglasney Garderns. But that the interiors were mainly studio builds designed by the wonderful James North.
- A fan also asked him what kind of visualization happens during location scouting. To which Skalding revealed that during scouting they need to visualise the important things to capture in scenes. Sometimes location alone doesn't tell the story and they need props, dressing and input from their talented creative teams - not to mention those fantastic actors who bring the whole thing alive!
- When asked where was Sophie and Nathaniel's house filmed. Skalding mentioned that for the tv series, they made the conscious decision to site the Daemons in a different environment to the Vampires and Witches. Thus, they went with the charming town of Chepstow.
- Another question Skelding was asked in regards to how did he shoot the bird's eye views like Sept-Tours or Oxford. But also, what was the most challenging scenery/location to shoot in (whether the technical difficulties or accessibility). Skelding revealed that drones were quite the useful new tool in his filmmaking armoury because they can achieve great shots.
- The next question ended up being about wether Gareth for example speaks to colleagues. Or if they talk to each other and evaluate locations from different series. The twitter user mentioned that All Souls Lane and The Rummel for example had already made an appearance in Being Human and Sherlock. Gareth stated that because they all go out to find dramatic and amazing locations, and often have to find them within a certain area to satisfy schedule, similar locations are often used on multiple productions!
- When it came to what were the challenges involved in filming on the campus of a university such as Oxford. Skelding revealed that Oxford was challenging full stop. Whether on university property or generally in the city. But that they were lucky enough to be welcomed by both the residents and the universities because of their love for Deborah Harkness and her books.
- Gareth Skelding revealed that his favorite sequence or shot from the locations was Diana cycling through Oxford. While logistically, it was challenging for them, he admitted to it being worth the pain that they suffered to deliver the scale that was achieved on screen!
- Satu's house and the forest scenes were filmed in the woods near the Pontsticill Reservoir.
- What ended up being the most challenging locations were the scenes at top of one of the highest peaks in Wales (Llyn y Fan Fach). He also released some behind the scenes of him on location.
- When it comes to the Bishop House, the exterior was built on an estate that was on the outskirts of Cardiff and they specifically filmed during the fall to capture the mood of upstate New York. The same estate also gave them Hamish's house!
- On April 16,2019 AMC released a behind the scene image showcasing how they created the Bodleian Library set right in the middle of a studio.
- On April 17,2019, AMC celebrated the series being rated 100% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.
- On April 21,2019, some behind the scenes images of Teresa with Sophia Myles, the actress playing her mom were released.
- On April 25,2019, AMC promoted the show by releasing an image of Matthew and Diana together and calling them a powerful power couple.
- On April 29,2019, some behind the scenes images of props like: the Congregation keys and the magical object Peter Knox was using in one of the Season 1 episodes were released.
- On May 1, 2019, some behind the scenes images for the locations seen throughout the first season were released.
- On May 6, 2019, BBC America teased its viewers by saying that after the love scene between Matthew and Diana aired, there was a Sunday spike in Google searches for 'bundling.'
- On May 19,2019, Deborah Harkness revealed that the bumper stickers seen on the back of Sarah's car were given to her by a fan.
- On May 22, 2019, Alex Kingston shared to AMC how she believes Diana's relationship with Matthew challenges Sarah's beliefs throughout the season.
- On May 26, 2019, it was revealed that a script of the series premiere signed by Teresa Palmer & Matthew Goode would be auctioned at All Souls Con that same year.
- Also on this day, BBC America promoted the show, ahead of its season finale, and released some promotional images that encompass the evolution of Diana and Matthew's relationship in Season 1.
- On May 28, 2019, AMC revealed that behind the scenes series stars: Teresa Palmer and Matthew Goode are like “an old, married couple.
- On May 30, 2019, Sky España promoted the show's first season on their official twitter account, and urge Spanish viewers to binge the first season.
- They also released a behing the scenes image of Season 1 on this same day.
- On July 9, 2019, the series official twitter account released some throwback behind the scenes images of Edward Bluemel when they were filming the first season in 2017.
- On July 10, 2019, Deborah Harkness revealed that the series officially became part of the Rotten Tomatoes coveted 100 Club with a 100% fresh rating.
- On July 13, 2019, the series official twitter account celebrated Wimbledon by releasing a promotional posters asking its viewers who they think the two duchesses (Kate and Meghan) would back in a doubles tournament with the characters from the series.
- On March 5, 2020, the series official twitter account provided a behind the scenes look at Ashmole 782.
- On November 27, 2020, it was mentioned that a colonial-style house was built in front of Cardiff University's Main Building.The building reminiscent of the French-Spaniard style seen in places like New Orleans was put up on the greenery in front of the historic Main Building. All done for Sky One series A Discovery of Witches.
Reception[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Promotional Images[edit | edit source]
BTS Images[edit | edit source]
Promotional Videos[edit | edit source]
BTS Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- About A Discovery of Witches - Badwolf Website
- Episode Summaries from Sundance Now
- Gareth Skelding Q & A Tweet 01 - Twitter
- Gareth Skelding Q & A Tweet 02 - Twitter
- Gareth Skelding Q & A Tweet 03 - Twitter
- Gareth Skelding Q & A Tweet 04 - Twitter
- Gareth Skelding Q & A Tweet 05 - Twitter
- Gareth Skelding Q & A Tweet 06 - Twitter
- Gareth Skelding Q & A Tweet 07 - Twitter
- Gareth Skelding Q & A Tweet 08 - Twitter
- Gareth Skelding Q & A Tweet 09 - Twitter
- Gareth Skelding Q & A Tweet 10 - Twitter
- Gareth Skelding Q & A Tweet 11 - Twitter
- Gareth Skelding Q & A Tweet 12 - Twitter
- AMC April 16, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- AMC April 17, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- Frunzel April 21, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- AMC April 25, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- Daemon's Domain April 29, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- The Tenth Knot May 1, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- BBC America May 6, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- Deborah Harkness May 19, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- Deborah Harkness May 19, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- AMC May 22, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- All Souls Con May 26, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- BBC America May 26, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- AMC May 28, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- Sky España May 30, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- A Discovery of Witches July 9, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- Deborah Harkness Jul. 10, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- The Best TV Shows of 2019 - Rotten Tomatoes
- A Discovery of Witches July 13, 2019 Tweet - Twitter
- A Discovery of Witches March 5, 2020 Tweet - Twitter
- A colonial-style house has been built in front of Cardiff University's Main Building - Wales Online