Episode 1 is the first episode of the first season of A Discovery of Witches.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The story opens with Diana Bishop in Oxford University's Bodleian Library doing research. She gives a keynote speech about alchemical images. Later, while researching, she called up several manuscripts from the library's holding cells, but one in particular feels different. Diana, a witch, realizes that the manuscript is enchanted, but goes against her instincts as a witch, unknowingly breaks the spell, and opens the book.
The next day, again at the library, Diana uses magic to retrieve a book from a high shelf. Diana tries to avoid using magic -- although coming from a long, powerful line of witches, the death of her parents when she was seven years old has turned her away from her heritage. After using magic to retrieve the book, Diana realizes that she is being watched by a vampire, Matthew Clairmont.
For the next few days, more and more witches, daemons, and vampires begin showing up in the Bodleian Library.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Matthew Goode as Matthew Clairmont
- Teresa Palmer as Diana Bishop
- Dominic Borrelli as Fred
- David Newman as Stephen Proctor
- Sophia Myles as Rebecca Bishop
- Sadie Shimmin as Head of Faculty
- Louise Brealey as Gillian Chamberlain
- Tomiwa Edun as Sean
- Alysha Hart as Miriam Shepherd
- Edward Bluemel as Marcus Whitmore
- Adam Stevenson as James
- Alex Kingston as Sarah Bishop
- Valarie Pettiford as Emily Mather
- Kerri McLean as Female Police Officer
- Nila Aalia as Sylvia Rattigan
- Owen Teale as Peter Knox
- Zak Rowlands as Huntsman
- Malin Buska as Satu Järvinen
- Alister Cameron as Mr. Johnson