There are many historical and fictional locations in All Souls Trilogy. Below is information regarding some of these locations as they relate to All Souls Trilogy.
A[edit | edit source]
- All Souls College: In A Discovery of Witches, Diana goes to dinner in Matthew's rooms at All Souls College, Oxford University, England.
- Auvergne: The Auvergne is the part of France in which the castle, La Pierre, is situated in A Discovery of Witches.
B[edit | edit source]
- Baynard's Castle: The Home of Mary Sidney, one of the members of the intelligensia of the English Renaissance. Sister to Philip Sidney (deceased by the time Shadow of Night begins), she is the Countess of Pembroke by the time the events in 1591 unfold. Baynard's Castle was where Diana performed many alchemical experiments including Hunting the Green Dragon. This was also the place where Diana and Matthew received their miniatures.
- Blackfriars: Still standing section of London, where in Shadow of Night, Diana and Matthew make their home.
- Bodleian Library: The Bodleian Library is in Oxford, England. That is where Diana first sees Ashmole 782 in A Discovery of Witches.
C[edit | edit source]
- Chelm: In The Book of Life, Diana, Baldwin, Fernando and some of the Knights of Lazarus seek Benjamin's stronghold in Chelm to defeat Benjamin and his vampire children, and to rescue Matthew.
D[edit | edit source]
- Duke Humfrey's: In A Discovery of Witches, Diana and Matthew see each other inside the Medieval wing, Duke Humfrey's, in the Bodleian Library, Oxford University, England.
E[edit | edit source]
- England: Shadow of Night opens with vampire Matthew Clairmont and witch Diana Bishop time-walking to 1590 England. The first person they meet is the famous poet (and daemon), Christopher Marlowe, whose nickname is Kit.
F[edit | edit source]
- France: In Shadow of Night, mail arrives from Matthew's father, commanding him to immediately travel to Philippe at Sept-Tours in France to prove that Matthew isn't dead.
G[edit | edit source]
- Garlickhythe: A major location in Shadow of Night. A parish in London, this is where Diana gains her teachers in witchcraft including Goody Alsop. The coven is based here. Diana learns much of her weaver skills from these witches. It is here where she performs her forspell which gains her a familiar, the firedrake, Corra. This is also the location of Father Hubbard's church which is the center of supernatural activity in London. Hubbard's "family" is still active in the present day and the modern Garlickhythe coven helps Diana with the locator spell to find the last missing page of Ashmole 782.
H[edit | edit source]
I[edit | edit source]
J[edit | edit source]
K[edit | edit source]
L[edit | edit source]
- London: In "Shadow of Night", in London at the Blackfriars, Matthew and Diana move into a house and are greeted by Matthew's friend, Henry Percy, who is Earl of Northumberland, as well as Gallowglass. Diana discovers a roomful of secret and historical information that enables the Knights of Lazarus to help protect those in its care.
- Les Revenants: A castle smaller than the family home of the de Clermont family, Sept Tours (see below). Ysabeau presentsLes Revenants to Diana and Matthew as a wedding present. It plays a very important role in the latter half of The Book of Life, as Philippe's library is instrumental in Matthew finding Benjamin's hideout and instrumental in Matthew's recovery at the end of the book.
M[edit | edit source]
- Madison: In A Discovery of Witches, Matthew and Diana travel to Madison, New York where Diana's aunts live. Upon arriving at the Bishop house in Madison, Matthew learns that the house is magical as well as haunted by ghosts. Diana introduces him to her aunts.
- Mont Saint-Michel: In Shadow of Night, during Matthew and Diana's trip to Sept-Tours, they arrive at the island of Mont Saint-Michel. When Matthew meets with Cardinal Joyeuse there, Diana realizes that Matthew's role is now more like a Renaissance prince than the scientist he was in the present when they first met.
N[edit | edit source]
- New Haven: In The Book of Life, Chris Roberts, Diana and Matthew go to New Haven, Connecticut. Lucy Merriweather at the Beinecke Library helps Diana research the location of the missing pages from Ashmole 782, The Book of Life. Lucy goes with Diana to Chris Roberts' Yale lab, where it is discovered that Ashmole 782 is a magical container that could contain much more than they imagined.
- New Orleans: In The Book of Life, Matthew goes to New Orleans to get Marcus' vampire children to join Matthew's new scion branch of the family.
O[edit | edit source]
- Old Lodge: In A Discovery of Witches, Diana visits Matthew Clairmont's house, the Old Lodge, in Oxfordshire, located near the village of Woodstock.
- Oxford: A Discovery of Witches opens with Diana Bishop in Oxford University's Bodleian Library doing research for a keynote speech she has agreed to give in a few months about alchemical images. She called up several manuscripts from the library's holding cells, but one in particular feels different. Diana, a witch, realizes that the manuscript is enchanted, but goes against her instincts as a witch, unknowingly breaks the spell that is on the book, and opens the book.
P[edit | edit source]
- Prague: In Shadow of Night, Matthew and Diana are summoned to court by Queen Elizabeth. The Queen wants to send Matthew to Prague to retrieve the alchemist and daemon, Edward Kelley, from Rudolf II, the Holy Roman Emperor and King of Bohemia. With Mary Sidney's help, the Queen allows Diana to go with Matthew.
Q[edit | edit source]
R[edit | edit source]
S[edit | edit source]
- Scotland: In A Discovery of Witches, Matthew visits in Scotland with his daemon friend, Hamish Osborne, who studied at university with him and has remained a close friend. In Shadow of Night, while in the past, Matthew and Diana discuss that witch hunts have begun in Scotland and also will develop elsewhere.
- Seville: In Shadow of Night, we see Rima Jaen, who works in a library in Seville, Spain containing the Gonçalves family collection, examining a small book, which we discover is Diana's daily journal from 1590, with the identifying information removed.
- Sept Tours: The de Clermont family home. In the present day and age, it is a rambling castle in which Ysabeau and Marthe live. It is also the home base for the Knights of Lazarus who legally own the castle, though as head of the family Baldwin has rights there too. When Diana and Matthew head back in time during The Shadow of Night, Diana gets to see Sept Tours in a different light as it is a hub of activity, especially with Philippe present. This is the castle where Diana has her wedding reception. Later, Diana feels more at home in 1590, because of her visit there.
T[edit | edit source]
U[edit | edit source]
V[edit | edit source]
- Venice: In The Book of Life, Baldwin sends Diana to Venice to represent the de Clermont family at the Congregation meeting, to seek its support as the family and the Knights of Lazarus go to rescue Matthew, and to stop Benjamin from continuing his centuries of raping and killing.
W[edit | edit source]
X[edit | edit source]
Y[edit | edit source]
Z[edit | edit source]